Today (January 1st, 2015) is the 56th Anniversary of the revolution. When the communists took over, the Cuban Republic was 56 years in progress (May 20, 1902 – January 1st, 1959). To be precise, as of today Cuba has had only 226 more days of Republic than it has had of Dictatorship, so it is an excellent time to make a comparison and to reflect.
Those of us who do not support and/or have suffered the consequences of that ill-fated day need no explanation. It has simply been a total disaster. On every front you can make a comparison Cuba has failed. I will list a few for the benefit of the readers who might not be familiar with this reality.
- 1959 - The Cuban people had just gotten rid of a president who had taken steps to derail the country’s progress and were hopeful to get back on track.
- 2015 - Today it is the hope of every Cuban to get out of the island.
- 1959 - Up to 1959 it was not customary for Cubans to leave their country, in fact Cubans freely traveled abroad and regularly returned.
- 2015 - Today there are nearly 2 million Cubans and their children living outside of Cuba.
- 1959 - Up to 1959 the only time Cubans left in mass was during the Spanish rule of the 1800’s and those numbers are significantly smaller than post 1959.
- 2015 - During the 56 years of Communists Rule there have been several mass migrations, in some cases on boats, rafts and anything that floats.
Government & Elections
- 1959 - During the period of the Republic, Cuba had several elections and presidents, these governments were weak and many times corrupt hence the opportunity for the Castro brothers.
- In 56 years there has only been 1 leader and no elections.
- 1959 - One life lost to an act of political vengeance or anything of the sort is one life too many. There were some lives lost in this period.
- 2015 - The past 56 years has been a blood bath: firing squads, long prison sentences, and death on the high seas, suicide, high incidence of drug and alcohol abuse and other unspeakable acts of abuse.
- 1959 - During the period of the Republic there was economic progress even amongst the corruption within government. This is a fact as listed by international agencies that keep track of country specific statistics.
- 2015 - Today the Castro government has fully absorbed the Economy. Cuba has several companies and industries, but they all have the same parent company and only on share holder.
Those who support the Socialist (Communist) government of Cuba are always very quick to point out that they receive free medical care in Cuba. A fact that is very dubious for many reasons, but I say to you, let's not even argue that point, let's give it to them. Let's say Cuba has a good medical care system, better yet, let's say it is the best one in the world. Would you be willing to have your freedoms limited or taken away so you could get the "best health care in the world", I think not.
To quote a great American "As for me, give me Liberty or give me death"
Luciano E. Orta
PS. Socialism's only success is to have Capitalism pay for it's generosity.